Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fox Woman

This drawing is inspired by the Asian fox women mythology. Fox women are supposed to be devious beings who use men and steal their power in an attempt to become more human. They can have up to nine tails, and the more tails they have the more powerful they are. I love folklore and mythology, but what has always intrigued me is to look at these well known stories from a different point of view.

This tale reminds me of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Little Mermaid" because in both tales a supremely intriguing magical being has only the simple goal to become human. I suppose I understand where these storytellers are coming from. Humans rule the world with very little opposition, but I know while watching the Disney version of "The Little Mermaid", I always felt slightly let down when she gave up her magical fishy half to become just another human.

Women do tend to get a bit shafted as far as traditional story telling goes and I can't help but re-analyze this story. I wonder if the fox women don't have some other motive that we haven't heard yet. Maybe their desires are more complicated than to become human. Maybe they are simpler. Maybe I will start writing my own story sometime. :)




"Fox Woman in Thought"





(detail)

No comments: