Sunday, May 13, 2012

Work in Progress


Another busy week this week. I've been working on a drawing and in fact this is the first drawing I started since I moved into my new place, so this makes it kind of important to me. It is hard to reestablish that creative mojo when you uproot. Your life is in boxes, your room doesn't smell like you yet, and you are still waking up not entirely sure where you are.  I'll admit there was a lot of frustration, fear, and self doubt when it came down to making art again once all the boxes had been put away. But that just sparks me to try something different, something outside the normal realm of comfort I'd been coasting on from my last state of peace. I'm forced to think differently.

And though this drawing isn't finished yet I figured maybe it would be nice to see the process I work with. I always loved seeing artists' works-in-progress because there is something so raw and gorgeous in the unfinished work. Maybe it's the sketchy line quality that does it for me or the tender washes, but I often like this stage better than the finished product. It seems more honest somehow.

Anyway, check out this artist. I'm not sure if I mentioned her yet or not, but she has a strong influence on me and is a wonderful illustrator. Lizbeth Zwerger.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I agree with the work in progress look. Gorgeous things happen in between. So keep up the progress shots!


Lots o' love,

D