Sunday, November 4, 2012

Self Portrait as an Alien


 This is a mail art exchange I did with a friend of mine, and I think it turned out very well! Our theme was "Self Portrait as an Alien" with the restriction of using an unconventional surface. My friend Erin Taylor, who has been a wonderful artist for a long time, blew my mind by using a shiny top to a jewelry box as her surface! She gave herself two eyes because of her inability to hide her emotions.





I chose one of my tried and favorite materials, paint samples. Heck, they're free and they come in any color you want!!  And sometimes if you're lucky you get a pretty sweet paint name printed on the card. On an odd random side note I thought it was funny that Erin used a jewelery box and I used the color "day at the jeweler's." :)

I've had a long standing wish that humans had fur that changed with the seasons. A friend teasingly noted recently that this desire probably stems from my getting cold very easily, but think about it! Covered in soft fur? What a life! And everyone would have different patterns on them, like cats! And the fur would get so thick and warm in the winter, and in summer we'd shed it all and be sleek and light-weight all summer. Oh man! And since I'm making my own species I think it'd really suit me to grow flowers out of my head. Yeah, that's right! Flowers! Awesome! 

I'm so glad we did this project!

No comments: